Sikkim is blessed with natural scenic beauty. The entire territory of Sikkim lies to the south of the main Himalayan range. Sikkim is rich inmedicinal plants. More than thousand medicinal plants are found. Large number of people dependson traditional system of medicine for their health. Faith healers play an important role in the life of Sikkimes people.
Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani,Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH) systems of medicines which have proven promotive, preventive and curative aspect,out of these Ayurveda ,Yoga , Homeopathy & Sowa Rigpa (Amchi) is gaining popularity in our state. Homeopathy system was introduced in Sikkim in the year 2003. With a view of mainstreaming AYUSHin the general health care services, a centrally sponsored scheme for development of health care institutions was introduced during the 10th Plan. Under this scheme, financial assistance was provided for setting up AYUSH treatment centers(co- location) in allopathic health facilities & procurement of AYUSH Medicines for AYUSH dispensaries at co- located facilities.
NATIONAL AYUSH MISSION (NAM)
Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Indiahas launched National AYUSH Mission (NAM) during 12th Plan for implementing through States/UTs. The basic objective of NAM is to promote AYUSH medicalsystems through cost effective AYUSH services, strengthening of educational systems, facilitate the enforcement of quality control of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani& Homoeopathy (ASU &H) drugs and sustainable availability of ASU & H rawmaterials.It envisages flexibility of implementation of the programmes which will lead to substantial participation of the State Governments/UT. The NAM contemplates establishment of a National Mission as well as corresponding Missions in the Statelevel. NAM is likely to improve significantly the Department’s outreach in terms of planning, supervision and monitoring of the schemes.
- To provide cost effective and equitable AYUSH health care throughout the country by improving access to the services.
- To revitalize and strengthen the AYUSH systems making them as prominent medical streams in addressing the health care of the society.
- To improve educational institutions capable of imparting quality AYUSH education
- To promote the adoption of Quality standards of AYUSH drugs and making available the sustained supply of AYUSH raw-materials.
- To provide cost effective AYUSH Services, with a universal access through upgrading AYUSH Hospitals and Dispensaries, co-location of AYUSH facilities at Primary Health Centres (PHCs),Community HealthCentres (CHCs) and District Hospitals (DHs).